Disability and Presidential Politics

We at "Planet of the Blind" are happy to pass along this announcement and call for participation in the presidential campaign by people with disabilities. This information was sent to us by our friend Mark Johnson.


NONE of the Presidential candidates are talking about our issues publically. Members of the disability community in TX have launched a campaign to bring attention to our issues. Following is an article about Senator Clinton’s Rally in El Paso yesterday. Advocates passed out flyers (English and Spanish) and issued this Advisory.

A large presence is planned at the Democratic debate on February 21st in Austin. The candidates need to meet with representatives of the disability community before the debate. If you agree, PLEASE contact (call and write) Clinton, http://www.hillaryclinton.com/help/contact/ and Obama’s,

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/contact/ campaigns.

If you would like to support this campaign and/or have any information about the Republican events in TX, please contact Bob Kafka, bob.adapt@sbcglobal.net, 512-431-4085.

All the candidates must address our issues so the public can make an informed decision. Whatever the issue or whoever the candidate, it is important that the disability community, young and old convey the fact that we care about our issues.




For Immediate Release


For information call: Frank Lozano (915) 565-7077 or Jose G. Lara (915) 253-1573

Members of the El Paso disability community called on Senator Clinton to include reform of the institutionally biased long term care system in her health care plan and her long term care positions.

Senator Clinton is a cosponsor of the Community Choice Act (S 799-H 1621) but has not included the passage of this legislation in either her health care or long term care positions.

Millions of Americans will be confronted with long term care decisions over the next few decades. The current long term care system, created in 1965, has an institutional funding bias that frequently forces individuals into nursing homes and other institutions. Total Medicaid long term care spending in FY 2006 was almost $100 billion dollars. 61% of these dollars were spent on institutional services leaving only 39% for all home and community services.

"All the candidates are talking about change in their campaign speeches"said Frank Lozano disability rights advocate. "We want Senator Clinton to talk about changing the institutionally biased long term care system by including passage of the Community Choice Act in her health care and long term care positions."

This issue is one of the highest priorities for the disability and aging communities in Texas and throughout the country.

Author: skuusisto

Poet, Essayist, Blogger, Journalist, Memoirist, Disability Rights Advocate, Public Speaker, Professor, Syracuse University

0 thoughts on “Disability and Presidential Politics”

  1. Thanks for the information. Obama does include disability as one of his major platform issues (see his website), though I don’t know whether he’s talked about that publically.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: